I love helping clients eat healthy tasty food while teaching them the properties of ayurveda and seasonal nutrition. In September/October, we’re looking for recipes that get the heat out of the body from the summer months of Pitta season(summer) while providing grounding and warmth as we move into Vata season.
This soup “fits the bill” .
Apples help to scrap and remove toxins from the tissues and squash provides moisture and grounding to the air qualities of cold vata.
If your digestion tends to be on the weak side you can add some pepper or fresh ginger to increase digestive strength(agni).
A fantastic Fall soup, (for Vata Season), that I happen to be addicted to right now. Quick and easy, nurturing and nourishing. I like to add a few pumpkin seeds and some chopped cilantro as a garnish.
This is also one of the tasty recipes I’ve added to this year’s Fall 2012 Guided Group Cleanse.
Most people conjure up very unpleasant thoughts when it comes to detox and “cleansing” But we’re all about education and teaching you the truth about how to gently support your body with herbs and whole foods to bring you towards health, well-being, and longevity.
You’re going to LOVE this recipe! Enjoy!
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed.
2 medium apples, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ small onion
I clove garlic
¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon Bragg’s liquid amino acids
12 ounces vegetable broth, (low sodium is best)
- Steam squash and apple in steamer or on stove top
- Saute’ onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is clear and tender. Set aside.
- Place flour, thyme, Bragg’s and broth in Viat-mix container, ( or other high speed blender.
- Blend ingredients on low speed to start and then turn to high. Blend for 2-3 mnutes until mixture starts to thicken. Turn blender off.
- Add squash and onion mixture to blender. Run on low speed to blend ingredients. Than turn to high and run for 4-5 minutes, until steaming hot.
- Serve and enjoy. I like to garnish this soup with some chopped cilantro, grated apple and pumpkin seeds.